I thought we’d buy a fixer-upper and gut it. But our future home has a functional layout and beautiful finishes. So instead we’d just like to make a few tweaks…
1) Open concept: Move the fridge and attached cabinet to the blank wall. Knock down a few walls and replace them with a big island that will open from both the kitchen and living room. Pots on one side, toys on the other.
2) Separate units: Enclose the stairs for a separate basement apartment.
3) Master closet: Steal the kitchen pantry to enlarge the master bedroom closet.
4) Laundry: Steal space from the current linen closet and nursery to allow for a wide laundry closet.*
5) Kids’ closets: Steal the nursery closet to enlarge the kids’ bedroom closet. We envision two kids sharing that bedroom. (Surplus kids can go in the basement.*) The nursery will hopefully become a computer room for teenage kids to do their homework.* Babies and computers don’t need closets. Although I might be a bit naive considering Sam doesn’t own any fluffy pink dresses.
*More on these things later.